Remodelista and Gardenista devoted the week to exploring Sustainable Design; including eco-friendly, plastic-free storage solutions. Here are a few of the highlights.
- We’re firm believers that small acts of refusal can make a difference. A simple swap: Say goodbye to plastic drinking straws and go with one of the options in Beyond the Plastic Drinking Straw: 5 Eco-Friendly Alternatives (Including One Made of Straw). (One set even comes with its own leather storage case.)
- Is there anything happier-sounding than a plant shelf? Michelle explains how it does double-duty in Garden Hacks: 10 Ideas Under $100 to Create Instant Privacy.
- Low-key luxe might just become our go-to look. In Steal This Look: A Hudson Valley DIY Kitchen by a Stealth Design Star, Alexa sleuthed out an unexpected (yet elegant) silverware storage idea and the goods to re-create it at home.
- A summer entertaining solution that doubles as portable storage: a rattan bar cart. See our favorites in 10 Easy Pieces: Rattan Bar Carts. Plus, learn more about rattan and why it’s a sustainable material in From Java, by Way of Oakland: Rattan Chairs from Wend Studio.
- Finally, a look at shiplap-lined, no-plastic-in-sight pantry in London. See it and more favorites from the archives in Just Add Water: 15 Favorite Uses of Shiplap from the Remodelista Archives.