We’re thrilled to announce the publication of our fourth book: Remodelista in Maine: A Design Lover’s Guide to Inspired, Down-to-Earth Style, out everywhere May 10 from Artisan Books. It’s available for pre-order now (with signed copies available from Print: A Bookstore); ordering information below.
Why Maine? This book is the first we’ve dedicated to a particular place—yet it’s a place whose style exemplifies what Remodelista has always been about. Beyond its rocky coast, rugged landscape, and quaint summer towns, Maine life is about rolling up your sleeves and doing things by hand, whether that’s mending a hem or renovating a kitchen. (Mainers, we’ve come to realize, just might be the original DIYers.) Maine style is thrifty, unfussy, inherently eco-friendly, and wholly inspired, and there are endless handed-down bits of know-how to borrow (like keeping a pair of pruners in the glovebox for collecting roadside flowers), whether you love Maine or have never been. Now, more than ever, the state is filled with design-forward places to go and singular homes that are timeless and personal, shaped by generations of summers and winters.
The book is a celebration of life in Maine and a guide to creating a home the Maine way—all with lush original photography by Portland-based photographer Greta Rybus. Here’s a sneak peek at what you’ll find inside its pages:
- Design Lessons from Maine: 10 Maine takeaways to adopt, no matter where you live.
- House Tours Through the Seasons: Room-by-room tours of 10 standout houses throughout the state, from off-coast islands to the very northern reaches of Maine on the Canadian border, from farmhouses to a hand-built dwelling (and sauna) in the woods to a carriage house perched over the water. Plus, the renovation sources and tiny Maine details that make each one work.
- The Maine Way: Tips and how-tos from shopkeepers, creatives, chefs, and homesteaders on things like arranging flowers and throwing an impromptu dinner party.
- Down East DIYs: 8 original, Maine-inspired DIY projects you can do in an afternoon.
- Design Destinations: Design-minded itineraries for trips to Maine, in warm weather and in cold.
- The Maine 30: Remodelista’s essential Maine products for the house (and porch), from cotton blankets to boat paint.
- Artisans and Makers: Our favorite woodworkers, ceramicists, quilters, weavers, and metal smiths (and where to find their wares).
- Notes on Native Flora: Maine botanicals, illustrated by UK-based artist Lucy Augé.
Or order via: Amazon, Barnes & Noble, Books-a-Million, Bookshop, Briar Patch Books, Devaney Doak & Garrett Booksellers, Longfellow Books, Nonesuch Books, Print: A Bookstore, or Sherman’s. To find your closest local bookstore, visit IndieBound.
Pre-order your copy via Booktopia.
Elsewhere? Pre-order via Book Depository.